Who is SeaTrees and What Do They Do?
SeaTrees provides a way for people to support communities around the planet by reforesting oceans. From planting kelp along the California coast to mangrove trees in Indonesia, SeaTrees is making a positive impact in the places that matter the most. These environments are rich in what's called "blue carbon," carbon stored in marine and coastal ecosystems.
Blue carbon ecosystems are extremely effective at storing carbon compared to other ecosystem types and are among the most biodiverse regions on the planet. Since 90% of all carbon is stored in these ecosystems, targeting them is an efficient way to address rising CO2 levels.
According to SeaTrees:
“Unlike other tree planting and carbon offset programs and projects around the world, the sole focus of SeaTrees is on blue-carbon coastal ecosystems. As surfers and ocean-lovers, we choose these spaces, because they’re the place where we play. As environmentalists and ocean-health activists, we focus on blue-carbon ecosystems because:
- They’re highly effective at carbon sequestration
- They’re critical ecosystems on the verge of collapse
- Methods exist to restore and regenerate these ecosystems
- The story to protect ocean health is powerful and compelling
- It’s not too late to act, but we must act fast
All SeaTrees projects provide significant social and economic benefits. Every project is assessed and measured against the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)."
SeaTrees works directly with local community leaders to execute on projects. These leaders then provide SeaTrees with written and visual updates on ongoing projects. Plus, SeaTrees makes regular trips to visit projects and ensure their progress!
Global (and Local) Impacts of Ocean Reforestation
Check out these fast facts about one strategy SeaTrees employs, planting mangrove trees, and why we've decided to partner with them.
- 90% of all carbon in the global carbon cycle is stored in the ocean.
- Mangrove forests sequester 5-10x more CO2 out of the atmosphere per hectare than tropical rainforests.
Planting just 10 mangrove trees with SeaTrees has the following 5 effects:
- Approximately 1/2 day of living wages is created for local community members.
- Resources for local education are provided.
- Local villages are more protected from sea-level rise and storm surges.
- Increases local marine productivity and serves as nursing grounds for shellfish and fish.
- Has the potential to sequester over 3 metric tons of CO2 over a 25 year lifespan.
Nixon x SeaTrees
Revisit some of our past collaborations with SeaTrees to see how we've been able to assist in their mission:
- 2022 Earth Day Nixon x SeaTrees Partnership Preview - Mangrove Trees in Indonesia
- 2022 Earth Day Nixon x SeaTrees Partnership Recap - Mangrove Trees in Indonesia
- 2022 Giving Tuesday Nixon x SeaTrees - Kelp Forest in Palos Verdes
- 2023 April Nixon x SeaTrees Partnership - Kelp Restoration Science Initiative
View more of our charitable partners and sustainability efforts at our Responsibility page.